PTE Listening

Please use this forum to ask and answer questions about which English language proficiency test is right for you!
Asadaslam1

PTE Listening

Postby Asadaslam1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Dear All

I recently appeared in PTE Academic exam with below results:

Listening: 59
Reading: 66
Speaking: 69
Writing: 73

As I am clearly lagging in Listening, So any tips or suggestions or strategies for my next re-take of the exam are most welcome.

Thanks.

Kaia_E2Language

Re: PTE Listening

Postby Kaia_E2Language » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:13 am

Hi there,

I'm so sorry we missed your question when you posted it in December! First off, congratulations on your reading, speaking and writing scores on the PTE; a 65 is a very challenging goal to most people! In order to improve your listening score, it's really important that you give yourself enough time to skill-build before your next PTE attempt. I would recommend giving yourself at least 4 weeks to practice and prepare before booking your next exam. I'll give you some listening tips here, but I also really recommend that you check out one of our PTE courses so you can get one-on-one tutoring from a PTE expert. Your personal tutor can work with you to identify where you are going wrong in the listening section and help you develop specific strategies and methods to boost your score. In addition you will have full access to our webinars and video lessons, similar to the small amount of free content we have on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvSdD8 ... ThHWhAhoAg

You can check out the free trial of our PTE course here: http://www.e2language.com/home/ote

Also, make sure you look at our free listening mock test on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWmuDjqArk&t=19s

PTE Listening Tips:

1. Start listening to English radio, podcasts and audiobooks every single day. It's incredible how much your brain can soak up when you hear English being spoken on a daily basis. If you don't live in an English speaking environment, this is a wonderful way to improve your listening skills. Focus on listening to academic content like Ted Talks, BBC podcasts and informative radio shows. This will not only help you develop listening abilities, but also your vocabulary- as much of the vocabulary will be similar to what you will hear on the real PTE!

2. Learn the scoring criteria and format of each task type. One of the major reasons that people will fail a section is due to a lack of understanding of criteria or format. It's crucial to make sure you know what the expectations of this section are so that you understand what criteria you are not meeting. To do this, you can download the PTE score guide here: http://pearsonpte.com/wp-content/upload ... _Guide.pdf

Also, check out our "secrets for success" listening videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... McMuE3dd_z

3. Make notes in your eraseable noteboard booklet- but not too many! No doubt the booklet is very useful for making notes to jog your memory, but it can be dangerous to overuse it. My best advice is to write keywords only while you are listening to the audio files. Don't try to write a whole sentence, or even more than 2 words at a time. And when it comes to "write from dictation", I advise you not to use the booklet at all. Trust your working memory to remember the sentence- and close your eyes to focus better on what is being said.

4. For "Summarize Spoken Text", use a tried and true formula. Many people struggle with "Summarize Spoken Text" because there is a lot of information provided and it's difficult to know what to include or not to include in your response. When in doubt, use the following method:

A) Write down keywords as you listen. Again, no more than 2 words at a time! Remember, you want the general ideas from the lecture, not specific details or vocabulary.
B) Write an introductory sentence using the following format: "The speaker in the recording discussed/talked about......"
C) Write 2 key points from the lecture in the following format: "The speaker contended that/thought that/ discussed/talked about/ demonstrated etc. ..........."
D) Write a concluding sentence with the following format: "All in all/ overall/ to conclude etc., the speaker contended/argued/concluded/thought that etc. ............"

For example, let's say you just heard a lecture about depression. In the lecture, the speaker said that depression in on the rise because of social media technology. The amount of time people spend on social media directly predicts their depression level and self-esteem. In addition, people are interacting less and less in real life and are turning to digital media for online social interactions, which the speaker thinks has an effect on increasing depression rates in the general population. The speaker thinks we need to limit our online time to counteract its negative effects on emotions.

Here is an example of a response that would get a high score:

The speaker in the recording was discussing the effects of social media technology on depression rates in the general population. She contended that social media is contributing to the rise in depression, and she thinks this is partially explained through people engaging more in online interactions than physical ones. Overall, she concluded that limiting online social media usage will help counteract the negative aspects it can have on mental health.

Remember: You don't have to include every point, just an overview of the main ideas and a clear understanding of the aim of the lecture.

I hope these tips help, and that your next PTE attempt is your last!

Sincerely,

Kaia, the E2Language Team.

Return to “Which test should I choose?”